Beddau RFC | 1st Team 27 - 14 Glynneath RFC | 1st Team
Robert Jack O''reilly
2 Conversion
Harri Morgan
1 Try
Jordan Griffiths
1 Try

Match Report
04 September 2017 / Team News

Satisfying Opening To New Campaign

It will be a few weeks yet before Beddau can expect to see the return from injury of some of their big guns.  The pre-season had shown that there are talented youngsters eager to step up but the pre-season had also shown that the step is not an easy one.

To begin the season Glynneath could hardly have been better opponents.  They have proven to be stern, and unresisting while able to unleash a touch of class that will trouble any defence.  And so it proved.

Beddau introduced new props in Connor Lewis and Ben Lee as well as full back Zac Byard and there were returns to the colours for Peter Connolly, Ashley Coombes and Josh Jones who, for varying reasons have spent some time away from the selectors` eyes.

It was a warm afternoon and though Beddau`s scrum had begun in good order the neater and more precise football was coming from the visitors.  Territorially, Beddau were edging it but hadn`t threatened and it was no surprise to see a swift Glynneath attack produce a very good score.  From a lineout on the right half backs Alex Burton and Jack O`Reilly prised a gap.  The ball was sent along the line where winger Jordan Griffiths took the ball on a curving run for a try Jack O`Reilly converted.

 Beddau upped the tempo but a long kick was pursued by Harri Morgan and though Beddau appeared to have the danger covered the Glynneath winger`s persistence forced a mistake which gifted him an opening and Jack O`Reilly again added the points.

To their credit Beddau rolled up their sleeves and set about building a head of steam.  A lineout was forced near the Glynneath line.  James Cashin disrupted the Glynneath throw and skipper Lloyd Evans was held up at the line.  Jay Harris sped the pass to Hywel Chatham and with centres Ashford and Connolly providing the link Ashley Coombes went in for the score which Hywel Chatham converted.  Hywel Chatham added a penalty awarded after a rousing drive by the pack was halted illegally and the half came to a close at 10-14.

In less than a minute of the second period Glynneath had offended on the floor for Hywel Chatham to make it a one point deficit.  Another penalty was awarded for a similar offence but Chatham`s kick was off course this time.

Glynneath were seeing little of the ball but saw a move halted when Beddau had strayed offside.  O`Reilly briefly eyed the posts but wiser counsel opted for touch.  Beddau dealt with that and a powerful surge upfield resulted in centre Adam Ashford both creating and exploiting a gap in scoring a good try.  Hywel Chatham converted.

David Francis was now calling the shots from scrum half and his break led to an opportunity for Number 8 Rob Jones.  Having done the hard work in beating the defence the back rower failed to hold on to the ball and the chance had gone.

It wasn`t long though.  Peter Connolly was involved twice in the next move and Rob Jones again took the scoring pass and this time made no mistake.  Hywel Chatham`s conversion was the final score of a satisfying afternoon that will have brought enough for both sides to mull over.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos