Glynneath RFC | 1st Team 16 - 15 Beddau RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
30 April 2018 / Team News

Green & Gold Rely On Other Results To Secure Championship Future

Had you wanted a snapshot of Beddau`s season this game provided it.  Were they the better side?  Yes; marginally perhaps, but by a distance that should have proved significant.  Were they able to convert pressure into points and were they able to secure a result?  Emphatically, no.

From the outset Beddau were showing signs that they would comfortably see off already relegated Glynneath in their own quest for the points that would extend their Championship tenure.  The forwards, in particular, were showing authority despite being a little makeshift in appearance with young hooker Tom Geere packing down at Number 8 between teenage flankers Sam Tiley and Jack Perkins. 

A penalty to touch set up a threatening lineout and while Beddau`s drive was briefly halted an eruption of emotions saw yellow cards to Beddau prop Ben Stephens and one of the Glynneath locks.  From the resulting scrum Beddau used the ball well to see last season`s top try scorer Tyler Wells beat his marker with a neat change of feet to open his account in the last match of this season. Leading points scorer Hywel Chatham converted.

It can`t surely be this easy seemed to be the thoughts in Beddau heads as they went down the route to self destruction.  Penalties took Glynneath ever closer until one was kicked to make it 3-7.  Beddau still looked relatively unruffled but a long touchfinder took Glynneath back into Beddau territory and it was now the home pack sniffing out the ball and driving on for the try to be awarded.  It went unconverted for a lead of 8-7 at the interval.

Beddau began the second half as though the deficit were a minor inconvenience but a lengthy period around the Glynneath line was relieved by the concession of a penalty.  The relief was short-lived and Beddau were quickly buzzing around the danger area again.  A step from Hywel Chatham opened some space and his long pass found Tom Slater on the right touchline to complete the try.  Tom, on as a replacement, was the third scrum half on the field for Beddau as Carl Lewis, now on the left wing, and David Francis were already in action.

Having now gone into a 12-8 lead Beddau, once again, stepped back to admire their work.  A rousing scrum from Glynneath shook things up and a drive from the lineout saw a further try awarded to make it 13-12.

Cue more pressure from Beddau and when the Glynneath backs encroached at a lineout Hywel Chatham gratefully stroked the penalty.  It was now all Beddau again but an impetuous penalty allowed the struggling hosts to gain some breathing space and when, in the seventh minute of added time Beddau were too quickly out of the blocks at a break down Glynneath`s composed outside half landed the long range effort that snatched yet another game from Beddau`s grasp.

The losing bonus point would be a handy cushion in seeing off relegation but neighbours Rhydyfelin were a little further down the road at Skewen and did Beddau the huge favour of coming up trumps.  It will now be Skewen or Cardiff Met to accompany Glynneath to relegation.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos