Beddau RFC | 1st Team 10 - 14 Newbridge RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
11 December 2017 / Team News

Bridge Take The Spoils At Wintery Mount Pleasant Park

Losing consecutively at home to first Rhydyfelin and now Newbridge will cause Beddau to wonder if the season is crumbling.

There are, of course, mitigating circumstances, the persistent injuries, the latest of which have removed captain Lloyd Evans and hooker Tom Geere from the firing line, play a part. The spurning of early kicks was a costly mistake in the Rhydyfelin game and the tries awarded and denied are not helping either. Loose head Ben Stephens is now recovered from injury and tight head Adam Court has returned to the ranks following a spell at Pontyclun. With hooker Will Haly playing on permit, the front row formed a solid unit and the early play saw Beddau making most of the running. A penalty at the tackle was goaled by Zac Byard and at 3-0 Beddau were good value.

This was a stop-start affair with penalties being the order of the day with 18 before half time, 9 apiece. However Newbridge created an opportunity on the back of a good drive from the lineout. A sharp pass to centre Simon Veall was dropped but Veall scooped the ball up and fed galloping prop Curtis Hicks who was through the posts for Eamon Rees to convert.

Beddau roared back and the forwards rumbled to the line. Jordan Goodwin released and the diving Peter Connolly carried it over the line and appeared to ground the ball. The referee however with no clear view of the grounding ruled no try and a protesting Beddau voice allowed the referee to add to the penalty count.

A run by full back Adam Ashford gave Joe Casella a glimpse and the right wing cut across in a thrilling run that created a mouth watering overlap. With just the one defender to beat Casella undid the good work by ignoring close support in an ambitious attempt to free left wing Marcus Jones. The long pass allowed the Newbridge cover to snuff out the opportunity.

To add salt to that wound the Gwent side again used a lineout to good effect and a stumble in Beddau`s defensive line was quickly seized on. Centre Lewis Hudd eventually profited when he sped through for a very good try which Eamon Rees converted to make it 14-3 at half time.

The second half was practically one-way traffic with Beddau being held at bay by a superb Newbridge defence. After a series of offences in the 5 metre zone Mr Morris-Roberts awarded a penalty try but for Beddau it was too little and too late. It was frankly a game of little quality but both sides are to be commended on the unfailing effort put in.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos