Newcastle Emlyn RFC | 1st Team 38 - 26 Beddau RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
16 April 2018 / Team News

Try Bonus Point Edges Green & Gold Closer To Safety

Perhaps it was the sun, but this was a strange sort of game.  There was enough good rugby played to satisfy the harshest of critics but there were errors aplenty.  It provides for entertainment but also a deal of frustration.

The result lifted any worries Newcastle Emlyn may have had regarding relegation but has left Beddau, although a point closer to safety, still the smallest step shy of security.

Of the strange aspects of the game, while the fact it was bookended by penalty tries earned by Beddau`s consistently redoutable scrums provided some satisfaction it was curious that no penalties were awarded in other areas of the field even when the Emlyn pack were shoved, oftentimes at quite a rate.

Beddau started briskly and centres Tyler Wells and Adam Ashford had combined well to take the ball into the danger areas.  A couple of scrums cemented the advantage but Beddau Number 8 Glenn Slater was denied only by referee Mr Gavin Roberts marching under the posts to award a seven pointer.

When Emlyn escaped into Beddau territory Mitchell Jones kicked a penalty awarded at the tackle.  Beddau`s continued dominance at the scrum saw Emlyn tight head David Bryant sent to the bin and the home side citing specialism in justifying a period of uncontested scrummages.  While in reduced circumstances though scrum half Mikey Jones stole a loose ball at a lineout and fed Mitchell Jones.  The outside half sent a kick  on a wicked trajectory and full back Ashley Sutton profited from the bounce to complete a try that Mitchell Jones converted.

If this were barely reflective of the game Beddau were soon smarting again.  Sutton, feeding off a strong carry from Number 8 Brynmor Jones cut a sharp line and two passes later the quicksilver Mikey Jones was on hand for a try that Mitchell Jones again converted.

A mazy run from Dai Francis, playing as a left wing, made inroads.  Hywel Chatham straightened and had lock Sam Tiley on hand to further dent the defence until centre Adam Ashford sprinted clear for a try.  Hywel Chatham`s conversion took him past 100 points in a difficult season and took the half-time score to 17-14.

The second half took a little time to wind up but an error in Beddau`s 22 presented the hunting Emlyn forwards with some go-forward ball and though Mikey Jones was well-tackled his brilliant one handed offload gave Brynmor Jones a try and Mitchell Jones another conversion.

Beddau pressed hard to reduce the deficit and Hywel Chatham`s gamble paid off when he intercepted an Emlyn pass and had enough gas to reach the line.  He was not, however, able o convert.  If the game had been awaiting a touch of class it was finally provided by Emlyn.  A step from Steffan Evans made a gap and LLyr Jones took a pass at pace and his quick offload was taken by replacement scrum half Dafydd Evans for an excellent score that demonstrated the effectiveness of pace and accuracy.  Mitchell Jones converted but with time ebbing the anxious Emlyn support urged a kick at goal from a high tackle offence.  This drifted wide but Emlyn hadn`t long to wait for another try.  This was entirely fortuitous.  Beddau, desperately chasing the game saw a pass go astray.  The fly hack caught an Emlyn forward some 5 to 10 metres offside and although he didn`t touch the ball he certainly affected the play.  Winger Llyr Freeman finished and Mitchell Jones was back on target.

Beddau`s scrum had the last word when a mighty shunt was rewarded with a second penalty try which brought a four-try bonus point.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos