Beddau RFC | 1st Team 31 - 5 Cardiff Met RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
16 October 2017 / Team News

A* Second Half Performance Sees Off Students

With the students now fighting on two fronts, having begun the BUCS super league season, Beddau had anticipated a slightly less experienced Met would turn up.  It certainly didn`t look like that in the opening stages.  The one consistent feature from the Cyncoed based outfit is the ability to turn any loose ball into a seamless supply of attacking potential.  Nimble-footed outside half Andrew Nurse was the fulcrum and it was Nurse who provided the first points with barely 4 minutes on the clock.

A few attacks had been repelled but when Nurse took a slick pass from Matt Marsh he stood up the defence then swerved and accelerated for a fine try.  He, however, did not make the conversion.

This looked like being the opening to another difficult afternoon for Beddau but, gradually, the tide began to turn.  Lloyd Peart and Hywel Chatham began controlling events from half back and when Chatham tested the Met defence his short pass saw Cody Baker gliding through.  A well-timed tackle brought him down but the ball went, via Lloyd Evans to Joe Casella who finished very well.  The touchline conversion was wide.

From a penalty Met plied the touchline but the long throw was between the tail gunners and Beddau tight head Ben Lee was quickly among them to disrupt.  His carry was taken on by fellow prop Connor Lewis and Lloyd Peart`s speedy delivery gave Hywel Chatham time to weigh his options.  A deft kick put Met`s full back in trouble and as the ball rebounded from his fingertips the onrushing Joe Miles was able to not only get finger tips to it too but managed to readjust and gather it in for a try that again went unconverted.

Despite now gaining a lion`s share of the ball Beddau were unable to prise any further openings in a well-marshalled Met defence and it remained 10-5 at the interval.

The opening salvos of the second half saw Beddau establish a stronghold within and around the Met 22 and when a penalty was placed to touch skipper Lloyd Evans was the recipient.  The drive was strong and it was still in the grasp of Lloyd Evans for the try.  The right-footed Zac Byard was entrusted with the successful conversion.

The running rugby that Met traditionally bring was now being delivered by Beddau and a passage of inter-passing allowed hooker Tom Geere to drive strongly into the defence.  Cody Baker took this on and made a break that freed Leon Rogers for a try that Zac Byard again converted.  There were nearly twenty minutes remaining and when Hywel Chatham began an attack his sleight of hand set defenders off course and he was through for a try that Zac Byard improved.

Met lost a lock to a yellow card for killing the ball but Beddau were happy to see the return of Callum Wheeler from a broken elbow and the debut of Youth XV hooker Callum Jones, on for the impressive Tom Geere.  Met continued to defend stoutly and to continually look for opportunities to counter but Beddau calmly saw out time.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos